Pope Francis asks prayers for relatives killed in car accident
The Holy See announced Tuesday that Pope Francis has asked that the faithful join him in praying for the repose of the souls of three members of his family who have been killed in a car accident.
“The Pope was informed of the tragic accident in Argentina involving some of his family, and is profoundly saddened,” Fr. Federico Lombardi, Holy See press officer, said Aug. 19.
“He calls upon all who share in his grief to be united with him in prayer.”
Pope Francis' nephew, Emanuel Horacio Bergoglio, 38, was returning to Rosario from a weekend with his family in the mountains near Cordoba, in central Argentina.
Their Chevrolet Spin hit a truck carrying corn.
Emanuel is in the hospital of Villa Maria in critical condition. His wife Valeria Carmona, 39, died, along with their children, Jose, 2, and Antonio, 8 months.
The Pope's nephew is the son of his late brother, Alberto.
More from this section:
- Blessed Junipero Serra's cross gets a kiss from Pope Francis
- Pope Francis to Israeli president: 'the challenge is to unite'
- Papal pop-by at Roman eyewear shop draws an enthusiastic crowd
- Strong words from the Vatican as migrant crisis spikes worldwide
- Are dialogue and reconciliation with the SSPX part of the Jubilee for Mercy?