Pope Francis asks prayers for relatives killed in car accident
The Holy See announced Tuesday that Pope Francis has asked that the faithful join him in praying for the repose of the souls of three members of his family who have been killed in a car accident.
“The Pope was informed of the tragic accident in Argentina involving some of his family, and is profoundly saddened,” Fr. Federico Lombardi, Holy See press officer, said Aug. 19.
“He calls upon all who share in his grief to be united with him in prayer.”
Pope Francis' nephew, Emanuel Horacio Bergoglio, 38, was returning to Rosario from a weekend with his family in the mountains near Cordoba, in central Argentina.
Their Chevrolet Spin hit a truck carrying corn.
Emanuel is in the hospital of Villa Maria in critical condition. His wife Valeria Carmona, 39, died, along with their children, Jose, 2, and Antonio, 8 months.
The Pope's nephew is the son of his late brother, Alberto.
More from this section:
- Pope Francis’ road map for the faith? Serve the poor.
- Full text of Pope Francis' powerful, unscripted talk with Kenya's youth
- Pope off-the-cuff to priests, religious: indifference makes God vomit
- En route to Kenya, Pope Francis confirms Mexico trip
- Pope names first Catholic bishop to oversee Anglican ordinariate