Pope Francis asks prayers for relatives killed in car accident
The Holy See announced Tuesday that Pope Francis has asked that the faithful join him in praying for the repose of the souls of three members of his family who have been killed in a car accident.
“The Pope was informed of the tragic accident in Argentina involving some of his family, and is profoundly saddened,” Fr. Federico Lombardi, Holy See press officer, said Aug. 19.
“He calls upon all who share in his grief to be united with him in prayer.”
Pope Francis' nephew, Emanuel Horacio Bergoglio, 38, was returning to Rosario from a weekend with his family in the mountains near Cordoba, in central Argentina.
Their Chevrolet Spin hit a truck carrying corn.
Emanuel is in the hospital of Villa Maria in critical condition. His wife Valeria Carmona, 39, died, along with their children, Jose, 2, and Antonio, 8 months.
The Pope's nephew is the son of his late brother, Alberto.
More from this section:
- Palestinian president may visit Vatican a second time for canonization Mass
- A look at Pope Francis' summer trip to the Shroud of Turin
- Pope Francis on the family synod: 'We need prayers, not gossip'
- Vatican invites 150 homeless for dinner, private tour of Sistine Chapel
- Vatican offers solidarity for victims of Alps plane crash